Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Where to begin.....it started at 4:45AM when Al(my favorite kitchen staff person) knocked on the dorm window, (she knows I sleep by the window) and asked if I could help with breakfast. She was planning Chorizo and eggs with tortillas, some fresh juices that were donated yesterday and since the coffee machine is finally fixed, we were having coffee. Al had started cooking the Chorizo, about 20 dozen eggs had been cracked the day before, so it was an easy job, whip the eggs, drain the sausage and scramble eggs on the grill. Heat the tortillas in the microwave and we are ready to go. We served 150 breakfasts on time at 6AM and everyone was happy. Alicia and I had steelcut oatmeal with cranberries, raisins and pecans. Much healthier! Then we prepped about 10 whole Turkeys for dinner, I made a spice rub and they came out looking beautifully. Have no idea how they taste since I am vegetarian, but they are having turkey and broccoli fettuccine for dinner, which will be good since the meat is chunked and not shredded as usual.
I had to leave by 7AM to go to the park to help trap a pregnant kitty, which was not successful. I had her in my hand but the lady from the rescue group wanted her in a trap and would not let me put her in the carrier. It would have been an easy "scruff and stuff", but by trying to get her in the trap it gave her too much time and space to fight and she won. She always lets me pet her and comes up to me but when she sees the trap she takes off. Hopefully I can catch her in the next day or two.
My friend was feeding by herself today and she was happy to see me and we finished the route together, close to 200 abandoned cats were fed and watered in record time.
Around 10:30 I went back to the shelter to take a shower and poor Al was having a lunch crisis. Again no help. I can shower after lunch! So we heated a bunch of frozen pizzas, made a green salad, added tomatoes and served iced watermelon for dessert.
People are supposed to volunteer 15 hours a week to be able to stay at the shelter and it seems that always the same few that volunteer while everyone else takes off or hides.

1 comment:

  1. I know well the volunteer challenges. Ran a local meeting for females from 5 to under 18 yrs. Main problem was generating actual volunteer hands that could support any activity. Friends and parents 'encouragement' not withstanding.

    Here's to a good meal time for you.

    ReplyDelete