Sunday, July 18, 2010

Rite-Aid has NO conscience nor have they read their mission statement

Check out the consumer complaints about Rite-Aid http://www.consumeraffairs.com/rx/riteaid.html

In Dec around 7PM I shopped at a recently opened Rite-Aid Location in California and upon exiting, stepping from a very brightly lit store into a very dark walk way and parking lot, I tripped over an unmarked curb and fell. First off I was very lucky that I “only” injured my right ankle and my pride, because even after people pointed out to employees that someone was injured in their walkway, Rite-Aid employees huddled in the doorway just gawking.  I am in my sixties and they did not even bother to check whether I fell, was having a heart attack or was mugged outside their store. Now about 5-7 minutes had gone by, my right ankle was the size of a cantaloupe and throbbing. My friend had finally completed her purchases, saw me and came rushing over, grabbing for her cell phone.  About the same time a couple stopped, as luck would have it she was an ortho nurse, took one look at my ankle and insisted her husband scoop me up off the ground and they drove me to the hospital. Rite-Aid employees waited till I was in the truck before one of them gingerly approached with clipboard in hand to take down information.
 I was appalled by the lack of concern shown by Rite-Aid employees and the time it took to come to the aid of an injured customer. Rite-Aid is a national company surely they must have policies in place and employee training on how to handle accidents and injuries sustained by customers. If that’s it, I am not impressed and it does not say much for Rite-Aid.
As it turned out I did not break my right ankle (which actually would have been better in the long run) but literally shredded the ligaments around the ankle bones. Eventually it required 4 month of physical therapy to get some range of motion back, and being in my sixties I still have residual effects of the injury. It has altered many aspects of my life, I am no longer able to run, which was a big part of my life, I still walk every day but cannot go the distance because my right ankle becomes painfully inflamed. It has certainly has altered the way I approach yoga, certain poses have become too painful and I am either not able to do them at all or have to compensate. Even everyday d­­riving has become increasingly difficult and painful.
Now comes the good part: Rite-Aid told my attorney (he was an extremely bad choice) they would settle for $4,500.00 (that is four thousand five hundred dollars), which does not even cover my medical expenses even without the attorney’s cut taken out.
Due to my husband’s long term illness and death, I had lost my home, car……….everything.  I was living in a homeless shelter, going back to school to finish my degree and I had just interviewed for a position as a live-in assistant that could be worked around my classes. Because of this injury I had to withdraw from this position and had to modify my class schedule to accommodate physical therapy sessions.  I am about two semesters behind with classes, still stuck in the homeless shelter and Rite-Aid does not even want to pay my medical bills.
On Rite-Aid’s website their mission statement sounds wonderful, obviously no one employed by Rite-Aid, including their executives, has read it.
Rite-Aid however was very quick to install additional lighting outside the store and in the parking area. They have painted the curbs along the walkway and installed railings. It only took them a couple of weeks to make those changes......
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. that really sucks! are you still in litigation? hang in there, eventually they should make a more acceptable offer. i know in your situation that its hard, but they need to at least give you enough to cover your medical bills and attorney's costs and leave you some left over.

    thanks for giving us the skinny on how cold hearted the Rite Aid company is. i will never go to one if i can help it! Hugs, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am still in litigation, the attorney is not very good and not aggressive enough. I Have written to their board of directors but not heard anything back as yet. If they are anything like their employees I don't hold out much hope. The tome for corporate culture is usually set by the board and upper management.

    ReplyDelete