Friday, July 16, 2010

It's getting downright scary!

We have several new residents in the dorm but one of them really stands out. From the day she arrived everyone noticed that she was talking to herself a lot, but around the shelter that's happens quite a bit
Today however she was changing voices and carrying on conversations. The other voice she used was that of a little girl. I had just finished about 35 loads of family laundry by myself, so I was really tired and trying to tune everything out. I did not perk up until I heard a little girls voice and a moment later G. yelling. I immediately looked for a child in jeopardy and asked G. what was going on and if everything was alright. She got angry and started yelling, something about "the stupid brat has to learn" and a in a split-second she changed to  the little girl voice started to cry. Then she totally changed her attitude and now spoke soothingly to the child "Mommy did not mean it, but you have to learn to be a good girl". As spooky as it was I was relieved that there was no actual child in the dorm. When I spoke to staff about the incident and someone mentioned that the other day she was nursing an invisible baby in the day room, with her shirt open and bra undone. Everyone was laughing at her and thought it was funny.
At times I have serous problems dealing with people's mentality at the shelter, the lack of compassion and caring is frightening. That poor women obviously is disturbed and needs help, I hope her caseworker will be able to find a place for her were she can get counseling and treatment.
She can be quite lucid at times and is capable of deductive reasoning. When someone mentioned that there was an outbreak of head lice at the shelter, she went out and had her hair braided and I have seen her oil her scalp every night.  When I asked her about it and she told me she went to the beauty college and had it done so she would not get lice. While she seems quite rational one minute she will turn in a heartbeat and become terribly angry. Her frustration level must be extremely high, wanting to express what is going on inside her and not being able to come up with the right words. She truly is a tortured soul and needs to be in a safe environment with people that can deal with her outbursts and channel her emotions appropriately. Being ridiculed, tormented and made the laughing stock of the shelter is only going to compound her issues and will escalate her feelings of frustration and anger.

No comments:

Post a Comment